Academic Scholarships for Undergraduate Students in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
(Fall 2017-Spring 2018)
Deadline: Monday, March 27, 2017 by 5:00 pm
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences each year awards a number of scholarships to honor students while they are in the process of completing a degree at the University of Houston. The amount of award varies for each scholarship, and ranges from $500 to $2,500. Students must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Student must have a major declared in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
- Student must have completed a minimum of 60 semester credit hours before Fall 2017. Seniors who graduate in December 2017 will receive half the total scholarship award for the Fall semester only.
- Student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours during Fall 2017 and a minimum of 12 semester hours during Spring 2018, unless otherwise specified.
- Student is expected to complete satisfactorily at least 75% of the enrolled semester hours for each semester of the Fall 2017– Spring 2018 academic year.
- Student must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 and maintain it for each semester during the Fall 2017– Spring 2018 academic year.
- Students will be considered for all scholarships for which they meet the donor’s criteria, but will receive only one scholarship award.
How to apply for a scholarship
When you are ready to apply, use the link below for the online scholarship application. Please be aware that you must submit the entire application and all materials at the same time. You will not be able to start the application, save and complete it at a later date.
- Note carefully the required information, documents and personal essays necessary to submit a complete application and
- Be sure to prepare and collect all your required materials PRIOR to starting the online application.
- Remember, you will not be able to start and save your application. You will have to submit the entire application, including uploaded documents, at the same time.
The application will ask you to respond to the following questions. It would be best to prepare your answers to the questions below before starting the application process.
- Organizations/Activities/Awards: Your involvement in college organizations, community activities, honors, special awards etc. Please include any leadership or community/civic involvement. (300 words max)
- Career Goals (200 words max)
- Financial Need: explain the circumstances of your financial need (200 words max)
- Personal statement: Why do you believe you deserve a scholarship? (500 words max)
You will be asked to upload the following: (PLEASE UPLOAD PDF FILES)
- A letter of recommendation from one of your instructors in CLASS —
- Official transcripts from each outside college or university if you have earned less than 30 hours of course work while in attendance at UH;
- An unoffical UH transcript –
- Instructions: Go to MyUH
Then go to Academic Records
Then View Unofficial Transcript
Then select Report Type – Unofficial Transcript
Press View Report then Save to Computer then Upload
- Instructions: Go to MyUH
Naming convention: Please name your files “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME – TYPEOFDOCUMENT.pdf” Example: Your name is Jane Doe and you are uploading all 3 files; the names of your files should be: doe_jane-letterofrecommendation.pdf, doe_jane-transcripts.pdf and doe_jane-uh-unofficialtranscript.pdf.
NOTE: There is a limit of 6 MB in total for the 3 uploads if your files are larger than that please contact. Maricela Villanueva at 713-743-4009, email:mvillan4@Central.UH.EDU.
Deadline for Fall 2017 – Spring 2018 scholarships: MONDAY, March 27, 2017 by 5.00 p.m.
Each student’s application must be accompanied by all attachments. Incomplete packets will not be considered for a scholarship. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline!
CLASS Undergraduate Scholarships
E. Virginia Barnett. Scholarship for any student with a major declared in CLASS. Additional criteria: outstanding academic performance; must be a current (Fall 2017 – Spring 2018 academic year) recipient of another UH scholarship.
CLASS Scholarship. Scholarship for any full-time student with a major declared in CLASS who is in good academic standing. Additional criteria: documented leadership qualities.
Debra Danburg. Scholarships of $500 for any student with a major declared in CLASS. Additional criteria: documented leadership ability and civic involvement; must be enrolled for at least 9 semester hours. Students interested in applying for this scholarship should include mention of all leadership and community/civic involvement.
Robert A. Eckels. Scholarship for any student with a major declared in CLASS. Additional criteria: documented leadership skills; must be enrolled for at least 9 semester hours. Students interested in applying for this scholarship should include mention of all leadership and community/civic involvement.
Don A. Sanders. Scholarship for any student with a major declared in CLASS. Additional criteria: student must demonstrate that he/she is a hard worker with a determination to succeed, and has a documented financial need.
Louise Woestemeyer. Scholarship for any student with a major declared in CLASS. Additional criteria: Must have 3.5 or higher GPA, documented leadership qualities and financial need.
Houston Area Corps of Cadets/MOAA – Scholarship for any student with a major declared in CLASS who is also a member of one or more selected Corps of Cadets. Additional criteria: documented leadership qualities.
Dr. Ronald S. Lepow. One scholarship of up to $1,200 for students majoring in Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, or Sociology. Additional criteria: student must be in good academic standing.
The Peek Family Scholarship in Political Science. Scholarship for students with a declared major in Political Science. Additional criteria: Must have 3.0 or higher GPA, junior standing, full time student with documented leadership qualities.
William J. Cunningham: Nancy Ayers Hawes and Patricia Young Scholarships in Asian Studies Applicants for these two scholarships must be studying Asian culture.
Social Sciences Undergraduate. Scholarship for majors declared in Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, or Sociology. Additional criteria: outstanding academic performance.
Applications will be reviewed by the CLASS Scholarship Committee, and decisions will be finalized by early May 2017. Applicants will be notified by email as to their status; information will not be given out over the phone. Prior to the scholarship being activated, recipients are required to write a letter of thanks addressed to the donor and submit it to the CLASS Dean’s Office, 402 Arnold Hall.
Note: The scholarship award will be credited to the student’s account for the Fall 2017 – Spring 2018 academic year with funds divided equally between the two semesters. A student who is unable to attend for one or both semesters will forfeit the award for the semester(s) not in attendance. Scholarships are not automatically renewable. Recipients must re-apply each year.